Smile for a Lifetime Foundation is a charitable non-profit organization that provides orthodontic care to individuals who may not have the opportunity to acquire assistance. It is our mission to create self-confidence, inspire hope, and change the lives of children in our community in a dramatic way. The gift of a smile can do all this for a deserving, underserved individual who, in turn, can use this gift to better themselves and our community. Launched in 2008, Smile for a Lifetime Foundation aims to reach individuals with financial challenges, special situations and orthodontic needs.
Dr. Reynolds founded the local chapter in 2010 as a way to reach those in need locally. Smile for a Lifetime of Guilford County is run by a local board of directors that reviews applications and selects candidates. While Dr. Reynolds is the orthodontic provider for the foundation, he does not serve on the Board.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- must be residents of Guilford County
- generally between the ages of 11 and 18
- family income of no more than 185% of poverty level (In general, if the applicant qualifies for the free or reduced-price school lunch program, he or she will meet the financial qualifications of Smile for a Lifetime of Guilford County.)
- If the applicant currently qualifies for Medicaid, he/she must include a letter of denial of treatment from Medicaid.
- must have a significant aesthetic need for braces
- must be a currently enrolled student
- must have a positive attitude
- must agree to follow the treatment plan, and demonstrate the ability and commitment to make all appointments on time
- must be willing to complete 10 hours of volunteer service during and after treatment
How to Apply
To become a candidate, interested patients must complete or have completed for them, a Smile for a Lifetime Foundation application.
- Application form and questions: Click Here to Download
- Two letters of recommendation (Please do not submit more than two letters, and limit each reference letter to one page each. Letters should be from a someone who knows the applicant well, such as a teacher, doctor, or dentist. Letters should NOT be from family members. Please type or print clearly with black ink, no pencil, on letterhead if possible. Please include contact information so the board can follow up on references if necessary.)
- Two pictures of the applicant (1 smiling facial photo and one in which the applicant’s teeth are clearly visible)
- Proof of income (This can be a recent pay stub or a copy of your most recent tax return.)
- A copy of the applicant’s most recent report card
- Applicants age 16 and older must include a police report, available free of charge from the Greensboro Police Department (The presence of charges on a police record will not automatically disqualify an applicant. Please do not let this discourage applicants from applying.)
Applications that do not meet these criteria will not be voted on by our Board of Directors. Our Board of Directors will meet three times a year to make their selections. Application deadlines are January 1st, April 1st, and September 1st. Candidates will be notified by mail of their eligibility.
The application, letters of reference, and pictures will not be returned and will become property of Smile for a Lifetime foundation.
Return your completed application* to:
Smile for a Lifetime Foundation
c/o Reynolds Orthodontics
1304 Beaman Place
Greensboro, NC 27408
*If you wish to email digital photos separate from the paper application, you may send them to the office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the applicant’s name in your email message.
For questions call 336-274-7649 or email: email@example.com.