• The first mechanical treatment for correcting malaligned teeth was suggested by Gaius Plinius Secundus (A.D 23-79).
• Famous orthodontic patients include: Tom Cruise, Kathryn Heigle, Hale Irwin, Cher, Diana Ross, Phyllis Diller, Chelsea Clinton, Whoopi Goldberg, Daisy Fuentes, Fay Dunaway, and Brandi.
• There are nearly 4 million people in orthodontic treatment throughout the United States. One in 5 orthodontic patients are adults.
• The time required to complete orthodontic treatment ranges from 12 to 36 months depending on the nature and severity of the problem.
• Besides alleviating or preventing physical health problems, orthodontics can improve self-esteem as treatment aligns teeth, jaws and lips.
• Of the 160,000 dentists in the United States and Canada, 8,000 are practicing orthodontists who completed and additional 2-3 years post graduate training in straightening teeth and aligning jaws to create optimal function and form. This training is above and beyond general dental training.
• The American Association of Orthodontists is comprised of more than 12,000 members in the United States, Canada and abroad.
• Wires activated by body heat used in today’s braces originally were developed by NASA for use in the space program.
• The cement that attaches the braces to the teeth is now made with a special fluoride-releasing substance.
Feel free to contact our office with any questions about orthodontic care or leave a comment below.